A Guide to School Parent’s Evenings.
First and foremost, at parents’s evenings, time is limited. Having been a primary teacher for 15 years, speaking from the other side of the table, it can be a challenge to answer every question parents might have. Asking focused questions can be a really helpful way to get the most out of the time you have together.
Key Questions for Parent’s Evenings
To foster a positive partnership with teachers, here are essential questions to ask during parent’s evenings:
1. Is my child at the expected levels for their age?
This question will help you gauge whether your child is on track and whether they may need additional support or enrichment.
2. What are my child’s academic strengths and areas for improvement in different subjects?
Understanding where your child excels and where they might need extra support is crucial for a well-rounded education.
3. Is my child reading at an age-appropriate level?
Reading age is a vital indicator of literacy development. Ensure your child is progressing in line with age-appropriate reading skills.
4. Are there any subjects where my child excels or shows a particular passion?
Identifying your child’s passions and talents is essential to encourage their growth and personal development.
5. Does my child have good friendships and play well with others?
Finding out if your child can maintain relationships is key to their social development.
If a previous teacher has flagged concerns then directly ask if the teacher has seen any evidence of the same. Some issues can be developmental, and children will grow out of them, however, if there is a pattern then something may need investigating further. It’s always good to ask.
Maximising the Collaborative Potential
Elite Tutors Sussex’s private tutors work collaboratively with class teachers, aligning their efforts to support your child’s education:
- Shared Planning: Many class teachers, who genuinely want the best for their students, are open to sharing lesson plans. This collaboration allows our private tutors to pre-teach content, which can include vocabulary, spelling, and complex concepts, giving your child a head start in class and providing students with a huge confidence boost.
- Aligned Targets: Our private tutors in Brighton and Hove, Horsham, Chichester, and West Sussex work closely with class teachers to set and meet specific educational targets. This alignment ensures that your child’s progress is consistent, and their educational needs are met.
- Holistic Support: Our private tutors provide a holistic approach to education, addressing not only academic needs but also boosting your child’s confidence and passion for learning. With personalised tutoring sessions, we ensure that your child is well-prepared for success.
Elite Tutors Sussex: Your Education Partner
At Elite Tutors Sussex, we’re not just educators; we’re your education partners. Our private tutors in Brighton and Hove, Horsham, Chichester, and West Sussex are committed to helping your child excel academically and personally. Together with class teachers, we ensure a collaborative, well-rounded education that maximises your child’s potential.
As you prepare for parent’s evenings in Brighton and Hove, Horsham, Chichester, or across West Sussex, remember that collaboration between parents, teachers, and private tutors can have a profound impact on your child’s success. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or need additional support. Your child’s success is our top priority, and together, we can make sure they reach their full potential.
Written by Karen Ormerod, Company Director and SENCO at Elite Tutors Sussex.